What is Xylitol?

Xylitol is a sugar substitute and is extremely toxic to dogs. It does occur naturally but when used commercially the concentration is too high for dogs to handle and can cause a low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure and even death.  Xylitol can be found in sugar-free gum, candies, baked goods, cough syrup, chewable vitamins, toothpaste, some peanut-butters and many other products. Signs of Xylitol poisoning may include, weakness, vomiting, depression, tremors, other. Exposure seems to be on the rise due to increased use in products. Please keep these products away your dog and check with your veterinary team if you have any concerns.

Copyright © 2017, Osgoode Veterinary Services. All rights reserved.   

Privacy Policy