Christmas Trees and Pets
Many people have concerns with holiday decorations but most questions are to do with Christmas trees.
- plan location - near a plug so no long electrical cords and not in centre area so will not get knocked over.
- prepare area - put down plastic bag to catch needles for easy clean up lowering risk of chewing them.
- secure the tree - cats climb and dogs run into things - lowers that risk.
- hide electric cords to prevent chewing, electrocution, tripping.
- no hooks - some pets chew these.
- safe ornaments - pets may consider these toys.
- ribbons and tinsel can be ingested causing obstructions.
- presents - do not put wrapped food under the tree that could be chewed up…especially chocolate!
- supervise - many pets will not have issues with trees but some need more supervision than others!
If you have any questions about your holiday decorations, please contact your veterinary team.